Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Let's start from the very beginning...

About a year ago, I got the devastating news that I have Premature Ovarian Failure.  Essentially, this means that I have been through menopause and my ovaries do not work (hence the "failure").  Technically, there is a 5% chance of conceiving naturally, but I've never been lucky when it comes to my health =/.  Unfortunately, I can't say that I was surprised by this diagnosis.  I have had health problems all my life, and I knew in my heart that having a baby would not be easy for me.  My husband, Mike, and I were given the option of egg donation.  There was not one part of me that wanted to do that.  It is definitely the right decision for some people, but not me. 

Immediately, adoption seemed like the right choice.  I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, and I think this happened so that Mike and I can be parents to a child who would not otherwise have parents.  Finding out I had POF was such a huge deal to Mike and me that we wanted to make sure we thought long and hard about what we wanted to do.  

It has been almost a year now, and we are diving into the adoption process.  Tomorrow, we have a meeting with Catholic Charities in Gainesville.  Tuesday, we have a phone meeting with Heart of Adoptions.  I am very excited to find out how we start the process!  

I never thought I would be a "blogger".  I don't like to write very much.  My hopes with starting this blog are these:
1.  When I get depressed, sad, frustrated or tired of waiting for a baby; I can look back at the parts of the blog when I was excited and happy!
2.  When my child gets older, they can read for themselves about the journey they took to get to wear they belong.
3.  I hope that this blog might help one person who may be going through the same thing I am.

The title of my blog actually comes from a TV show (shocking for those of you who know me;-)).  It comes from "The Fosters", and  it is the theme song to the show:
"It's not where you come from, it's where you belong..."

That's my outlook at the moment.  I think about my future child and where they come from is not as important as where they belong...with Mike and me.

Until next time...

Katie <3

"DNA doesn't make a family, love does"

No comments:

Post a Comment